Thursday, November 25, 2010

the mystery of the missing tv

I was a silent listener in a group of office colleagues discussing their favorite tv shows when I confessed that all this was quite alien to me since I don't own a tv.

'What? no tv? Then how do you spend your time at home?', X was surprised.

I explained that the lack of a tv was a conscious choice, and time is easily passed by talking and live interaction.

'Are you staying with your batchmates?' X again

This is a very common question which I hear from every new person I meet in office -- luckily a second colleague Y intervened and explained the fact that I am married

'So what do you talk about? I mean, how can you spend time without a tv?' X is stumped

I asked him to try living without a tv and judge for himself, having said that both of us were very happy not to own a tv and that we have never felt the lack of it.

'Actually I also talk with my husband, but most of the times we talk about something that is on tv', said Y
'Yes, and tv gives you so much topic for discussion', said X

And on they went, rambling about the wonders of the television. I tried to tell them to imagine a time when there was no 24x7 television: didn't people spend time happily then? But X talked about how in 'modern life' we want 'everything automated', meaning to say back in the pre-tv era life was not that comfortable. He also talked about some parents turning off cable tv when their kids were giving exams, and tried to understand our condition as one of austerity. Austerity? - heavens, no! We are absolutely happy not to buy a tv.

Bit of history: when we first set up our home in Bengaluru more than 2 years back, we were broke and didn't have money to buy even a fridge, so a tv was out of the question. Within a few months our finances improved drastically, but we had already decided what to do and what not to do.

Disclaimer: I or my wife have nothing against television. We are just tired of the crap shown on the channels (specially news channels), and don't want to become unthinking couch-surfers like we have seen many people become. And we haven't yet become bored talking to each other :)

No comments:

Post a Comment