I read this piece a while ago and I so agree with it. I was involved with volunteering with an NGO more than eight years ago. The first task I took up was going to a nearby slum and teaching basic arithmetic to some kids. It was an eye-opening experience for me because firstly I had no idea the slum even existed. In West Bengal slums are present in front of you and I grew up seeing them. In Noida this was behind a wall at a dead-end.
But from the beginning there was something itching in my mind which I could not pinpoint. I was feeling that I was doing something wrong. None of my fellow-volunteers felt that way. I envied their enthusiasm and zeal and felt my intentions in life were not as 'noble' as theirs. The last part is definitely true -- I don't have much of a bent towards caring or 'uplifting' others in society. However I like to see a job well-done and in my opinion our approach was wrong. Instead of trying to become teachers -- which we were not -- we should have employed local teachers and helped the community get the education it needed (which might be something more than basic arithmetic and languages).
I didn't continue more than two or three months at that task and I have never done this kind of volunteering after that. The NGO is still there and the school is very succesfully running with volunteers for the last eight years. I still have friends among the volunteers. Many kids have been admitted to a local primary school. Apparently all is well.
However I stick to my opinion -- there could have been a better way.
But from the beginning there was something itching in my mind which I could not pinpoint. I was feeling that I was doing something wrong. None of my fellow-volunteers felt that way. I envied their enthusiasm and zeal and felt my intentions in life were not as 'noble' as theirs. The last part is definitely true -- I don't have much of a bent towards caring or 'uplifting' others in society. However I like to see a job well-done and in my opinion our approach was wrong. Instead of trying to become teachers -- which we were not -- we should have employed local teachers and helped the community get the education it needed (which might be something more than basic arithmetic and languages).
I didn't continue more than two or three months at that task and I have never done this kind of volunteering after that. The NGO is still there and the school is very succesfully running with volunteers for the last eight years. I still have friends among the volunteers. Many kids have been admitted to a local primary school. Apparently all is well.
However I stick to my opinion -- there could have been a better way.
No comments:
Post a Comment