Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Letter from Chail




View Larger Map
Here I am sitting in Chail - - a very very spiritual weekend getaway in Himachal Pradesh. Why spiritual? Well, because there is absolutely nothing to do, and nowhere to go once you are here. You are left with no choice but to focus inwards. All you will meet are some mild-mannered people, and some equally mild-mannered monkeys – and the latter will outnumber the former.

I had been looking forward to such a vacation – an aimless, planless one. I am glad I got it. The original plan was for Mt Abu. When that didn’t materialize till the last moment we hurriedly booked bus tickets to Kalka. There were two possibilities from Kalka – Chail or Kasauli. My wife was preferring Chail, and our bus gladly carried us beyond Kalka (they didn’t even call us when we crossed Kalka) and dropped us at Kandaghat – which is the point from where the journey to Chail begins.

It was absolute laziness and planlessness for the last two days here. Now I am sitting in the sun in the last one hour or so I have here to write down what I did and felt. The most enjoyable feeling here is the near-emptiness in the mind. In fact I hardly feel like writing or even talking too much here. Or doing much. I think the stillness and beauty around automatically induces some stillness in the body and the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment