Sunday, February 17, 2013

Notes from a music student

I had a class with guruji after a loong gap - maybe two months. It was a very intense and thorough class after a long time. Guruji suggested I stop putting music in the backseat of my life and get regular - maybe do two classes per week if possible. I tried to explain to him what I had realised time and again in the last few months -- I am increasingly getting less time for music.

After coming home, I felt that I indeed have put music somewhere behind other things. But what are those other things? One is my health -- I do quite a lot of things (by my standards) for my physical and mental health. I don't want to go into those things here. The other is my profession -- which is much more to me than a means of earning money. I am a programmer by enthusiasm and passion -- not only by profession. So my job and my life as a programmer takes a lot of my waking time. I have put music just after these two things. But what do I do? What can I de-prioritise?

On the other hand I do have an amazing guru. I am in love with the musical style he represents. Which is why I have continued learning under him for close to eight years. I have had gaps in these years, but I didn't let go. I came twice from Bengaluru to Delhi to learn under him. The first time I was attending a friend's marriage. The second time I came for him only. Should I really not give more dedication to something I have pursued so long?

I know what I want. An easy way out. My life stays just as is, and I advance in music by giving whatever little time I can. But this is a frustrating path, since it brings very little progress. Being an engineer I tend to think of ways to improve efficiency everywhere. Can there be some better way of learning faster in less time? Maybe yes -- maybe no. The very possibility of many day-to-day activities was unknown some decades ago. Can one really learn music faster, like today it takes less time to manufacture a mobile phone than it used to do earlier? Can the advances in manufacturing inspire advances in human capabilities as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment