I have recently started using Twitter. Being in front of a computer all day for my job, I have an account with most social networking sites. This doesn't mean I use them. Twitter used to be a site which I visited once in a while to see what 'others' were saying. These 'others' were not my friends. They were just some popular twitter handles.
I had gone to the Constitution Club in Delhi for Software Freedom Day celebrations (21st September). By then I knew what a hashtag is and how events get reported using them. I had never used them myself, though. So the first session which was going on was pretty boring, and the audience were listening with the dedication of school students. I felt something needed to be done. I told this to Sumandro (who was one of the organisers) and he agreed. I then tweeted to the presenter what I felt, and he also tweeted back. Actually I already knew him, but it was fun telling it over tweets with the event hashtag. It somehow happened that I started using twitter the next day onwards.
Looking back, what had kept me from using it was I could never figure out something worthy of sharing with the world. But twitter is not for profound stuff. It is not for deep quotes. It is for the mundane things in everyday life. The thoughts, frustrations, soliloquys in your head are nothing but tweets. And hashtags are just ways to find the theme behind your tweet. So tweet with whatever bugs you, fascinates you, strikes you etc.
For something that really moves you, leaves you spellbound -- twitter is useless. Last Thursday I was at Kamani Auditorium, and Girija Devi took the stage after Meeta Pandit at around 8:15 pm. She started and swept me away musically. Whatever I had heard before went out of my mind for some time. It was like the first good rain after a long summer. I didn't feel like opening my mobile phone and tweeting -- music, specially Indian Classical music, is very very engaging and you just don't interrupt the experience. But even if I did I'd have nothing to tweet!
I had gone to the Constitution Club in Delhi for Software Freedom Day celebrations (21st September). By then I knew what a hashtag is and how events get reported using them. I had never used them myself, though. So the first session which was going on was pretty boring, and the audience were listening with the dedication of school students. I felt something needed to be done. I told this to Sumandro (who was one of the organisers) and he agreed. I then tweeted to the presenter what I felt, and he also tweeted back. Actually I already knew him, but it was fun telling it over tweets with the event hashtag. It somehow happened that I started using twitter the next day onwards.
Looking back, what had kept me from using it was I could never figure out something worthy of sharing with the world. But twitter is not for profound stuff. It is not for deep quotes. It is for the mundane things in everyday life. The thoughts, frustrations, soliloquys in your head are nothing but tweets. And hashtags are just ways to find the theme behind your tweet. So tweet with whatever bugs you, fascinates you, strikes you etc.
For something that really moves you, leaves you spellbound -- twitter is useless. Last Thursday I was at Kamani Auditorium, and Girija Devi took the stage after Meeta Pandit at around 8:15 pm. She started and swept me away musically. Whatever I had heard before went out of my mind for some time. It was like the first good rain after a long summer. I didn't feel like opening my mobile phone and tweeting -- music, specially Indian Classical music, is very very engaging and you just don't interrupt the experience. But even if I did I'd have nothing to tweet!
Very well said, Nice blog post indeed. And I play bass in a band, and to be honest music is the only thing which makes me feel I am a part of this REAL world, else I am a mere VIRTUAL ENTITY.
ReplyDelete