Saturday, September 21, 2013

A sea of noise

I grew up in a semi-urban place in the outskirts of Kolkata. As far back as I can remember I always had a good ear for music. I disliked noise. I hated hearing the same song or set of songs being played over and over again. Yet that was what I was subjected to, by the enthusiastic youth of my locality. Bengal is a state of year-round festivities and it was the worst possible place a modern invention called the loudspeaker had to reach. It became a tremendous weapon in the hands of Bengalis and I had to suffer the consequences of numerous pujas and keertans in my neighborhood which were invariably accompanied by unusually loud noise blaring till late night. We had a slum close to our apartment and they caused the maximum damage.

Anyway don't get the impression that I like soft music only. I have listened and enjoyed everything from the hardest rock to indian classical. But there is a place for loud noise and I believe a neighborhood is not one of them.

Cut to the present -- here I am in Noida, one of the shining destinations of new India. I live in a 'premium' apartment which stands apart for its excellent club facilities and green area. It is inhabited by mostly rich people who are all working professionals. Imagine how I felt when I encountered the ghost of my childhood here again -- the loudspeaker.

It is not only that the residents find an excuse to blare loud noise (often conducted by a 'dj') every month or two for some celebration or the other. It is not only that the noise doesn't stop until night. It is not only that residents defend such celebration on the apartment mailing list.
It is also that the apartment builder has thoughtfully planted Bose speakers all over the garden area, which our flat overlooks. And these speakers belt out 'soft music' every day. I really can't convey how nauseating it feels to hear the same soft music over and over again in a loop every day. Somehow none of the residents are affected by it.

I looked around and then realised it isn't anybody's fault. It is in Indian culture. We are a noisy lot. We don't have a respect for silence. Neither for music. The great Indian classical music happened a long time ago and is now dying. I am learning Hindustani classical music since many years so I am not speaking out of ignorance. In the meantime, read this news about reduction of noise being a prime issue in Germany's elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment